Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Real Blessing was Ours

My wonderful wife does not know I am posting this...

Joe and Willie (our next door neighbors) were not the ones blessed by our association with them, I am the one who has been blessed. What a humbling blessing for me to watch the way my wife's concern and love for this quiet elderly couple grew. Danell is not one to get up in Church and tell everybody how great she is, or how strong her testimony is, or what wonderful things she accomplished over the week. She's not big on words and long discussions about how much she knows. But I have learned more about her divine character and her quiet capacity to love and serve, in the last 9 months than the whole time I have known her before that. She made it a point to take Cal over there and make sure he gave Willie "hugs & kisses" not just because it was "cute" but because she knew it meant a lot to Willie, and because Willie had grown fond of our little bundle of energy(chaos) that is Cal. She made it a point to try and visit whenever possible, just to provide company, knowing that most of Joe and Willie's family are a long way away. And it was never just "taking brownies over to the neighbors because that's what we do," it was always because of the sweet bond Danell has developed with them.

I had no idea that blowing kisses and "catching them and putting them in my pocket for later" (read the entry before this to understand what i am referring to) was something that Cal learned from Willie. Willie may never know that this has become one of our favorite bed time traditions and is now a family tradition that will last for generations... (well, she does know...).

I can't imagine the grief that Joe must feel with the huge void that has appeared in his life with the loss of his companion of 53 yrs. I am also glad that Willie has been set free from the pain and misery of the last few months. I have no doubt that Joe will get to see and be with her again, he was always so gentle and caring for his wife.

Willie, we are so grateful to have been blessed by our friendship with you and we miss you...

4 comments:

Jared and Tanya's Family said...

Danell you are so wonderful. But I have to say as well, Adrian you are great as well. I am so sorry that you both lost a friend. I know how much you cared about her. Cal, I know you will always keep one of those kisses with you. Love you.

The Behunin Family Story said...

Danell you really are one of the most caring people that I know. All of your life you have always bonded with older people. As a child you always voted for the seniors on the game shows. You were always the one that would hug the elderly in the ward. I remember that you always cuddled with grandma. So, it never came as a shock to me when you told me how much Joe and Willie meant to you. Danell you truely have the gift of charity - the pure love of Christ in you. Never lose that-it is what makes you so special.

Brett said...

That was such a beautiful post. Im sorry about the loss of your friend. Im praying for you. Love always Casan

The Dell Family said...

I never read this till now, cause I always thought it was the one Danell wrote right after willie died. Danell is a great person and i am so glad that you guys loved them so much. Danell always said that she doesn't have a calling in the ward yet, but that very well be because loving and provided TRUE service to Joe and Willie was her calling at this point of time. We can all learn from your example.